Sunday, January 21, 2018

An embarrassment of Cuckoos

On 20 January as we returned from our dog walk I noticed that the Leaden Flycatchers around the garden were making a ruckus.  The reason for this seemed to be clarified when a dark striated Cuckoo flew from a low bush, accompanied by one of the Flycatchers.  The latter flew to the cuckoo and fed it.

I didn't have binoculars with me and when I consulted my Field Guide it indicated that Leaden Flycatchers were hosts for Brush Cuckoos.  As they have been evident around the house recently I thought that resolved the issue, and announced it to COG.

An hour or so later i was at the Creek and heard a begging bird sound.  There was the Cuckoo again. I scurried back to the house, grabbed bins and camera and returned to the creek, quite quickly locating the young Cuckoo.  It was in a reasonably well lit position.
 Of course that didn't last and it flew into a much shadier spot where its host flew in to feed it.
I was able to get a decent look at the host as it gathered food from the willows.  It wasn't a flycatcher of any species: it was a Yellow-faced Honeyeater.

On returning and checking the photo against my field guide it was obvious that the cuckoo was a Pallid Cuckoo rather than a Brush Cuckoo.  That was good, as they are usually hosted by Honeyeaters.

A correction was offered to readers of the COG chatline.

In terms of breeding records I have decided that I should include this under both species:

  1. Pallid Cuckoo because it has added to that species; and
  2. Yellow-faced Honeyeater since it shows the area is suitable for them to breen in, if they don't get parasitised!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am very happy to receive constructive comments. However anything I deem offensive will not be published.