Sunday, October 22, 2017

Red-capped Robins

I will update this post with some links etc but wanted to get the images up quickly.

As we returned from our dog walk this morning I heard the distinctive 'Drrt-drrt' call (sometimes called the "old telephone call") of a Red-capped Robin.  On gathering my binoculars and camera and returning to the site I soon spotted an adult female of the species.
 Note the rudimentary red patch above the bill.

She stopped calling and flew into another tree from which she chased another very similar bird.  I was able to locate the other bird and here are a couple of images.  Although it didn't call, and it doesn't have the red forehead, I believe this to be a second female (possibly a younger bird).

Despite searching for several minutes I was unable to locate a male of the species.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am very happy to receive constructive comments. However anything I deem offensive will not be published.