Saturday, October 19, 2013

A stunned silvereye

A few minutes ago we heard a thud of a bird hitting a window.  After a check nothing was seen splatted on the deck so we assumed the victim had not been badly impacted and subsequently flown away.

Then I went out to the deck to collect a cup of coffee and thought to sit and drink it there.  Fortunately I looked down first:
This is clearly a Silvereye, Zosterops lateralis.  From the pale colour of the flans I rate this as Z. l. familiaris the most widespread sub-species.  At some times of the year many of the Silvereyes seen in this area are the chestnut-flanked race Z. l. lateralis which breeds in Tasmania but migrates North for Winter.

Here is a close up of the head showing that the ring around the eye is in fact white, not silver.  It also shows nicely the detail of the feathers.
Later in the day I came across a flock of Silvereyes munching on insects around old Acacia seeds.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I am very happy to receive constructive comments. However anything I deem offensive will not be published.