Thursday, December 15, 2011

Pelicans: slightly out of area

Ellie has reported to me that
"I was driving back to Bungendore from Goulburn, on the Tarago Rd, on Nov 14 or 21 this year at about 4.30PM-5PM when I saw a flock of a couple of hundred pelicans.  They were just past Elmslea and Buckingham Estates and were flying in the direction of Lake George or Lake Bathurst. I know they don't qualify for your bird list in the Gazette but I thought it was interesting."
 It most certainly is an interesting sighting.  I can't recall hearing of a flock of Pelicans of this size in the area around Canberra of interest to COG:
 Presumably it is a result of the inland lakes drying up after a good breeding season.

Although there are no water bodies in the Carwoola area big enough to support such a flock the odd bird may turn up (or be seen flying overhead).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am very happy to receive constructive comments. However anything I deem offensive will not be published.