Friday, January 5, 2007

Introduction to Bird Photograph pages.

This page is an attempt to explain my thinking behind the pages of reference photographs of birds which follow.  Where appropriate I will also include links to pages in my 'home' blog (or other sites) relevant to the species.

I decided that having a separate page for each species was going to get very unwieldy so have decided to use a system based upon the 'groups' used in my normal list but splitting the pages according to sensible subdivisions with the birds listed, within a group, according to the official Taxonomic order.  However: changing these pages will be a major cramp so I do not expect to update them each time the taxonomists decide to weave their evil incantations.

Most of the photographs will be taken by me, but when another observer send me a photograph I will include it with attribution.  Where no photograph is available from me, readers may wish to consult the COG  photo gallery or Avibase.

In general I will only use one photograph per species, choosing an image that might help readers identify the bird.  Some of the shots are atrocious images, but if they show the salient field marks of the bird I reckon they are 'fit for purpose' and have included them until I get a better photograph. I will add extra images:
  1. Where the bird is sexually dimorphic or has different juvenile plumages; or
  2. To show things such as nests as well as the bird itself; or
  3. If I have taken a really spiffy image!

In principle the images here are publicly available, but if used in publications or web-pages an attribution to the relevant URL of the image would be appreciated.   And if used in a fantastically popular commercial product putting a bit of the action my way would be nice!

At the time of writing (March 2014) I had one or more images of 47  53 85 species.  To review all pages of photographs I suggest clicking on the label "Photographs" at the foot of this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am very happy to receive constructive comments. However anything I deem offensive will not be published.